Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Concrete Ships
MatthewAndersonUS80
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 17, 2016 8:20:06 PM(UTC)

Over the next few days, I'm going to try and post wrecks on the wreck finder of concrete ships. These ships are members of a 24 ship fleet, original ordered in 1918 by the US Government in a transaction approved by President Woodrow Wilson. This fleet was to be constructed for the Emergency Ship Corporation and was referred to as the "Emergency Fleet". The ships were constructed out of reinforced concrete due to the material and construction method being as simple to produce and cheap to construct as steel hulls in a time when steel was desperately needed for more important and primary weapons and vehicles. In the end, no ships were completed before Armistice on November 11, 1918. 12 ships were cancelled, but 12 ships were still under construction. In the end, these vessels were sold to civilian operators and became cargo ships transporting different materials. Notable examples were the McKittrick, Selma, Pal Alto, Peralta and, Atlantus. All of these vessels still exist today as shipwrecks visible from shore. One of the ships I'm adding is the Monte Carlo, the former McKittrick. I've visited and explored this wreck. From personal observation, it appears the decks and superstructure were completely built of steel while the hull itself was the reinforced concrete structure. Peralta is technically not a shipwreck as the hull is still afloat off Powell River in British Columbia, Canada as a logging industry breakwater.
1 user thanked MatthewAndersonUS80 for this useful post.
peytonis on 4/18/2022(UTC)