Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Atocha Question
smjxkab
#1 Posted : Friday, July 20, 2012 8:27:42 PM(UTC)

My Grandfather helped Mel Fisher develop the way in which to raise the loot to the surface, long story short he rewarded us with a small section (about 3 feet) of the side of the ship [Atocha] and an arquebus from the Atocha... so in short... what are they worth?
oldmossback
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 5, 2012 4:50:11 AM(UTC)

Your artifacts are interesting but as to value that is in the eye of the beholder. I hope that you have documentation for the artifacts as part of the value is knowing the history of the Atocha. A gun that has been underwater for a few hundred years would only have a historical value and the same goes with the wood. The value would have to be what someone is willing to pay you for the artifacts. Do not go on the certificate value. Mel Fisher hauled up large silver ingots. The ingots weigh about 70 lbs each. How do you place a value on them. The spot price of silver would give a starting point. That is a tangable price. Then you have to look at the historical value. The silver bar was cast by the spanish consitadores in the new world. Then placed in a ship that was destined for Spain but sank in a hurricane. What value does that add to the silver ingot. Some people would say nothing is added by the accident of history and weather. Others (especially Mel) placed a high value on the history. I would say that you would have to do a lot of research to see what other atocha artifacts have sold for and that might give you an idea of value. Good luck.
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2013 1:47:09 PM(UTC)

The arquebus is actually worth some money though it will depend on if it was restored and what condition is. Try Frank Sedwick who runs treasure auctions. He'd value it for you.