Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
SSS buying suggestiions
shipwreckworld
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2008 11:17:09 AM(UTC)

Old Forum Thread

Author Thread: SSS buying suggestiions
bnn SSS buying suggestiions
Posted: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 11:33 PM (CST)
hello all, i am planning to buy a SSS that will be used to create an uderwater map of sloping bottom in one of the lakes, what is most important for me is: - the picture of the slopes should be scalowable, rotable and zoomable (best would be the one consisting of points, rather than spots) - as precise as possible now, considering the above, i would like to ask for the general type of SSS suitable for that kind of operation, the model(s) should also allow: - both sides scanning (instead of one-side, not obligatory but very welcomed - noone likes to go twice the same route) - right under the surface towfish towing (the water surface is very calm, therefore i would like to create the map showing the very shallow areas as well) - the angle of the swath (i am sorry for lamer's description) of 90degrees high (vertical) or as high as possible, allowing very shallow water scan (i.e. 1-5m deep) - inwater towfish towing (f.e. 20m deep), allowing on further merging the shallow-water maps and the deep-water ones with software any suggested models/brands? some "helpful" questions more: - is towfish rotation allowed? instead of using short vertical swath (20-60deg high), maybe one can rotate the towfish and trim it in the way it is "watching" the area horizontally (parralel with water surface)? - any mosaic software cooperating with suggested SSS? (able to process data from analog device into multi-point picture-web on pc screen, or colaboring with digital models, as highly welcomed in the begging of this post) - which way of saving data is more practical? SD (or related) memory cards, or direct connection to onboard laptop (scanning will be done with 15m long motor boats/yahts, no problems with spacing/water inside) - what is the maximum operational depth for such sonars, related to the purpose of survey - 20m deep is enough to merge down two images one from shallow area (1-20m deep) and one from deep area (20-40/50/60m deep)? -towing speed (faster means better?) :P -two bandwith usage - one really needs that?

Author Thread:
Posted: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 11:35 PM (CST)
sth wrong with text formating, i am sorry for 'no spaces'

RIROCKHOUND SSS buying suggestiions
Posted: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 7:49 AM (CST)
I'm not sure your questions... We use an EdgeTech 272TD with Chesapeake Technologies Software for collection and processing. I have mapped with this system from >1m of water down to >30m with good results. I couldnt follow the rest of your email. Bryan

Posted: Friday, January 26, 2007 1:36 PM (CST)
can you post any images? before mosaic processing, and after maybe? ;)

Scubadude SSS buying suggestiions
Posted: Friday, January 26, 2007 10:00 PM (CST)
Have you considered having someone do the survey for you? It would be a heck of a lot cheaper?

Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2007 9:41 AM (CST)
definately no... the workplan is supposed to spread the surveys around local lakes - a lot of work to do

Posted: Monday, January 29, 2007 9:07 AM (CST)
BNN: Email me: Bryan_Oakley@hotmail.com

Posted: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 1:22 PM (CST)
send email yesterday

Posted: Thursday, February 01, 2007 9:56 AM (CST)
I responded> Maybe it went to junk mail on your end? double check and I will resend

ShipwreckWorld SSS buying suggestiions
Posted: Saturday, February 03, 2007 8:08 AM (CST)
Bryan, I suggest that you take a look at Odom Hydrographic http://www.odomhydrographic.com/index2.html They have the system to do the precise measurements with hydrographic software that I believe that you are looking to find. You probably need an Odom system along with a side scan to understand the general bottom topography. However, in shallow water areas there may be grass, and side scan will not work well in those areas. Side scan companies that I would recommend are Klein Assoicates division of L3 Communications, Edgetech, and Marine Sonics. Hope this helps. Jim

Posted: Monday, February 05, 2007 8:47 AM (CST)
SWW; Thanks for the reply, I was offering similar tips to BNN. We have an Odom MB and EdgeTech Sidescan already :-)