Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Opinions on the StarFish SSS
nikk
#1 Posted : Sunday, September 25, 2011 3:41:56 AM(UTC)

hello everyone
has anyone used the new lowarance side scan attachment for the fish-finder????....if so how is it picking up wrecks
diver9
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 18, 2012 3:04:17 AM(UTC)

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and glad to have found it.

Q: I have a Humminbird 1197 that has served me well having found a huge array of amazing things; I have been out perhaps 6 times on boats running towfish-based commercial side scan sonar/SSS and participated in their operation. I need to buy a towfish system but don't really want to spend 30-40-50K to do so.

I have a good handle on why the Starfish system made in the UK could work well for my needs.

I understand its depth limitation of approx. 25-30 feet is problematic however I could conceivably work with that OK.

I'd like any opinions on their product/service/support.

Thanks.
jimkennard
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 19, 2012 5:42:05 PM(UTC)

What kind of things do you want to find with the side scan sonar?
What depths do you want to search?
what is your budget for a side scan sonar system?
diver9
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 20, 2012 5:10:02 PM(UTC)

What I look for:
Diving/scanning for fresh water wrecks in New Hampshire's Lake Winnipesaukee (found 11 this year, 20 in the last 3 years) and other lakes; Also dive/scan alot in the Connecticut River bordering NH/VT; With my Humminbird 1197 I look for wrecks, cars, objects of interest of any kind-big on history so horsebarges, barges, steamers; Also do some search work for bodies, outboards etc. once in a while; I use it when I scallop dive off Mass. only to pin down the gravel beds vs. rock where lobster is. Ocean as a rule is a bit too rough to get any quality images-heave is always a problem to some extent unless I;m in say a protected harbor like Gloucester; I think I have a plane in Buzzards Bay;

Depths:
For all of the above less than 150 feet; 150 is the max, most often more like 100 or less; No real wreck hunting in the ocean due to size limitation of my boat as well as present limitations of the HBird (hull-mounted ducer and all);

Budget:
I would have to say no more than $10K. I am a real fan of side-scan and it seems for a tow-fish-based system general choices are something well under $8,000 or well over $30,000 (this assumes new equipment v.s used) such as EdgeTech, MarineSonic etc.. I don't want a Fishers;

So far I haven't seen anything or know of anything that compares to the StartFish in terms of capability and price. While 990khz is way up there I do have lots of uses for that frequency and the range according to their specs for 990 is about 200 feet L/R combined which also works for me. The 400khz options are viable too but I won't buy anything until spring because I don't want the warranty to run while it sits in my basement thru a New Hampshire winter.

I would like to know about other towed systems aside from StarFish thank you!
jimkennard
#5 Posted : Saturday, October 13, 2012 7:40:37 PM(UTC)

The sonar images shown in the Starfish gallery look quite good. The Starfish systems appear to work very well as shallow water side scan sonar. However the minimal towfish weight of 2.2 pounds, in water, is not sufficient enough for it to get much deeper than a few feet below the surface at any reasonable search speed. One can see this in the surface reflection of the Starfish gallery images. The standard cable is limited to about 80 feet up to a maximum of 150 feet. This would imply to me that there are no electronics within the towfish assembly. This could mean that additional cable above the standard length may cause the range to be reduced due to cable attenuation. When there is a thermocline in the body of water it is important to get the towfish under the thermo layer to be able to obtain the maximum range available otherwise the sonar signal will bounce off this layer and not be returned plus receive other spurious reflections due to the thermo gradients.

Searching for small objects including a human body in deeper water up to 150 feet will be very limited as it is necessary to be close to the bottom to be able to obtain a much more definable target than when looking straight down as with the shallow water limitations of the Starfish side scan. I would expect that in waves of 1 or 2 feet that there will still be a noticeable heave effect with the short cable of the Starfish.

The Starfish systems appear to be a step up from the Hummingbird side scan sonar but are limited to shallow water and calm sea conditions for searching.

Per your requirement for the side scan sonar system that you desire, I suggest that you keep looking for a system with more flexibility and one that you to be able to tow deeper by utilizing a longer cable and with a heavier towfish and preferably one that allows you to change transducers for either very high resolution or for longer range searching.
diver9
#6 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2012 3:19:07 AM(UTC)

Thank you Jim good advice and much appreciated-just what I was looking for; The manufacturer tells me while they have no depressor wing for their products a downrigger arrangement like fishermen use can be set up but I'm not wild about that idea.

diver9
#7 Posted : Saturday, February 2, 2013 1:06:19 PM(UTC)

I've decided to buy an Edgetech 4125 running 400/900 vs the SAR version.
richardparker07
#8 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 9:53:47 PM(UTC)

diver9 wrote:
I've decided to buy an Edgetech 4125 running 400/900 vs the SAR version.

Great Decision, Edgetech 4125 is a good choice , Have a clear Over view on 4125 Applications and features

and this video may give you more information if your are not so aware of the system

I would like to suggest this link to view more side scan systems, here i have seen side scan Sonars with various applications.