Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Looking for a side scan sonar / recomendations
beni
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 7, 2009 12:49:19 PM(UTC)

Hi

I run a small liveaboard out from Acapulco, Mexico, and have a regular Garmin Sonar on it. I am looking into buying a side scan, but am confused with the amount of information I am getting in the Internet. As a person with little knowledge of electronics I am looking for simple operating unit, that allows me to:

-Sail up and down the coast on around 200 feet of water, looking for underwater mountains and rock formations that colme up to 50 to 100 feet for my divers

-can help me in search of small wrecks for salvage works

-might help in search of a drowning victim ( I am getting calls on a regular base for that, and neither the navy or prt captain has even a regular sonar, but looking for them scuba diving is not only stressful but expensive for the usually not wealthy families and usualy unsuceful )

Of all that I read I think a humminbird might be the best option, as I could be fixed to the hull and does not need aditional person to run lines and computers, but does anyone know if:
-the traducer works troughhull
-what happends if I cruise in 300 feet of water and I have a underwater rockformation coming up to 100, will that show on the side scan ( they say depth limit for reading is 150 feet)

mainly I would be very gratefull for any comment or advice you can give me, as to which system to purchase and which would be the not so expensive options

Thanks and take care

Beni
oniqdiving.com
jimkennard
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 11, 2009 6:29:40 AM(UTC)

Beni,

To search for bottom features in 200 or 300 feet of water, you will definitely need to use a towed side scan sonar which will provide a much better view and range for detecting the bottom topography protruding from the sea floor that you are not directly passing over with your boat. Thru hull or hull mounted side scan units have several limitations as follows:

1 To obtain good imagery you need to operate in fairly calm seas because every turn of the boat by the waves will distort the image because the sonar transducer is constantly being shifted back and forth with the boat. This is not the case when you are towing the sonar transducer as it will stay true to the course that you are on regards of the slight movements of the boat by the waves.

2) In deeper depths the image definition of of the bottom features will not be very good because you are looking mostly down on the seafloor and not much off to the side

2) If there are thermal layers in the body of water where you are operating, then the range will be severely limited when using a sonar transducer at the surface. When the sonar signal hits a thermal layer at some critical angle and range, that interface acts like a mirror bouncing the signal away from the bottom and not providing any return signal.

Typically, the hull mounted side scan sonar units are of good benefit to fisherman and to some amateur shipwreck hunters in depths of 50 ft or less. Serious shipwreck hunters are using towed side scan units.

Searching for a Drowning Victim: This is very hard to do even with the best side scan equipment. The best success is when the bottom of the sea floor is very soft and has no other objects in the area such as rocks, coral, or vegetation that give a much stronger signal return. If the bottom is not clear of other stuff, then finding a body is going to be next to impossible. You must also get the sonar transducer close to the bottom as a body will not be a strong target and will not have much of a profile above the sea floor.

For your particular requirements you should be looking at manufactureres of towed side scan sonar units. If you want to search both in depths of 50 ft or less and don't want to deploy a side scan towfish but also want to search in deep water, then you might take a look at the DeepVision DeepEye HM340 Hull Mounted side Scan Sonar system. This system will allow you to use the same Surface Unit and software of the HM340 with a DeepVision Towfish when you want to search deep. This might be the best of both situations for you.

Best of luck with your shipwreck searching and I hope this information helps.
Jim
beni
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 15, 2009 8:25:47 AM(UTC)

Hi Jim
Thank you very much for you advice, very helpfull indeed, I was not aware at all of the problem with a hullmounted system and the movement of the ship, ocean here is rarely calm so that would not work. I will keep on searching for a towfish, thanks again and take care

Beni