Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Anyone using the new Hummingbird 900 series sidescan sonar system?
shipwreckworld
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2008 11:10:10 AM(UTC)

Old Forum Thread

Author Thread: Anyone using the new Hummingbird 900 series sidescan sonar system?
videorov Anyone using the new Hummingbird 900 series sidescan sonar system?
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2005 12:36 AM (CST)
I found some guys on a Treasure hunting site are starting to use them and impressed

with the pictures up to 150ft.

Author Thread:
GB Anyone using the new Hummingbird 900 series sidescan sonar system?
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2005 12:42 PM (CST)
Havent used it myself, but I know it does not record, and it is a boat mounted transducer which means calm water use only for effective imaging. I manufacture single channel 200 KHZ sidescans based on consumer fishfinders. Goto Burtonelectronics.com for more details. If you were going to use the hummingbird I would recommend you build a towfish and extend the cable so it could be towed a min of 50 ft behind the boat.

bhampton Anyone using the new Hummingbird 900 series sidescan sonar system?
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2005 11:55 PM (CST)
I have a 987 and it works great!

the scan range can be set up to 360 feet to each side of the boat it looks like the returns start to prter out at about the 200 foot range over a relitivly flat bottom 40 feet down at 455Khz

wuth the shorter ranges a towed fish is not so criticle.

I run it in a 16ft zodak maintaining a constant heading is required to make good scans.

I would be interested to get a link to the treasure hunting site

I can save screen captures to an SD chip that fits in the front of the unit it takes about 10 seconds to save an image and they are about 1.2 Megs bitmap files.

I would love to find a place where I can post some of my scans

brad

bhampton Anyone using the new Hummingbird 900 series sidescan sonar system?
Posted: Saturday, December 03, 2005 9:40 PM (CST)
here are a few 987c Si screen captures for you to take a look at. these were not done under the best conditions, 1 foot waves on the lakes and the river runs at 3-4 mph with boils and back edys. the whole site is like 8.5 megs where each screen capture is 1.2 megs each so they do lose something in the conversion.

have fun brad

http://webpages.charter.net/bhamptonkc7mrp/

captjos Anyone using the new Hummingbird 900 series sidescan sonar system?
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2007 3:58 PM (CST)
GB.. are you still selling side scan upgrades? Please contact me at captdes@portjeff.net if you are.

Does anyone have any further information on how this unit performs on a keeled boat? I will be using it in salt water 20-80 ft depths. Does it pick up small wrecks at all in 20-50 ft of water or am I wasting my time. thanks for the help

diver1111 Anyone using the new Hummingbird 900 series sidescan sonar system?
Posted: Thursday, April 05, 2007 8:04 PM (CST)
I have a 987Csi that is impressive-not that I'm Bob Ballard but I love this thing. Blew away the Humm. 3D Paramount-not even in the same solar system. My boat is only 16 feet but its a tough v-hull built in Australia. I use it on the CT. River on the VT/NH border, on Lake Winnipesaukee in NH, all over the seacoast from Boston to Gloucester. I used it off Cape Cod looking for a plane. Chop is a problem for a transom-mounted transducers but believe it or not it's not often so choppy that I cannot use it. I can save scanned images to an SD card. The 987 can be programmed and formatted many ways to tailor it to your use. And it's tied directly into a color chartplotter tied into a 16 channel GPS. Outstanding graphic display, especially at night,.You can point the cursor at a target-of-interest and lock onto it with the GPS while saving the target to the chip.

Word of advice: Print out the manual from the web site, put it in a 3-ring binder and take it on the boat. The read it and read it again. Don't think you'll just jump right into this thing. I am getting better images and using it's capabilities more and more becasue I understand how to use the thing. Like anything else I guess. Worthwhile if you're a diver too, as I am. Give me an email address and I will send you some of my images.

scaleydiver Anyone using the new Hummingbird 900 series sidescan sonar system?
Posted: Friday, April 06, 2007 1:00 PM (CST)
diver 1111, could you send some of your images to rjl@dcwis.com

Thanks!

Capt Warren Anyone using the new Hummingbird 900 series sidescan sonar system?
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 9:36 AM (CST)
Hey, We are considering making this purchase for our Dive/Rescue boat. I have not been able to get the local rep from Hummingbird to assist us much. I would love to see the images you have. We are diving in black water for drowning victims and if this technology is good, it would help us.

Posted: Friday, May 18, 2007 12:35 AM (CST)
Im thingking of buying one to give me another fishfinder with a diffrent take on things. I like tech stuff anyway for the boat and thought this might be a good to add. Im also going to add a fishfinder that hooks up to my laptop made by www. cruspro.com I found on the net. It does some pretty neat things aswell for a 2d sounder.

It sells for around $800 I found at one of their dealer sites. You can record your trips and it will even save GPS data along with other data temp, depth ,speed etc. There are times when its smooth in the Gulf off the west coast of Florida and I would like to see a few things on the bottom a bit better sometimes. Do you have any pictures that you have saved you could send me?

How many pictures can you get on one of those SD cards?

I would like to have both systems on the boat. Im even thinking of mounting two flip down TFT monitors 15“ with vga and video inputs to hook my computers up to along with my underwater camera I designed to turn 360 degrees with my remote control. It will be hightech if I get all that together.

Hope to see some pictures.

Jack

Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2007 10:59 PM (CST)
There is a good yahoo group for the Humminbird 997csi scanner. Lots of pictures and more.

spidermice Anyone using the new Hummingbird 900 series sidescan sonar system?
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2007 12:58 PM (CST)
hi, I own the 797 si and it works fine . http://img339.imageshack...mg339/1172/s00011wo2.png

this is a boat into the harbour near the side wall

Stefano

camshaw Anyone using the new Hummingbird 900 series sidescan sonar system?
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2007 7:49 PM (CST)
can you post some images of your 987 with depths ? thanks,cameron...

naui 1446 Anyone using the new Hummingbird 900 series sidescan sonar system?
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 9:05 PM (CST)
Hello, i'm using a 997, good results in less than 100 feet of water, i've mounted the trolling transducer on a towfish and found that it works well with up to 80 feet of cable at 455 khz. i find the 800 khz only useful in very shallow applications.

g buchanan

cliffscot Anyone using the new Hummingbird 900 series sidescan sonar system?
Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2007 7:58 PM (CST)
Curious about your towfish design! Please disclose I would like to build one for my humminbird.

cliff
firefghtr86
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 30, 2009 5:55:42 AM(UTC)

i have used the 997 humminbird side scan sonar and at depths less than 20ft with the hull mounts transducer its works great alone. I found that at depths over 20ft a towfish is the answer. After alot of research I found a towfish manufactured in TX that is built "like a tank" and by far the best product on the market. The shop that carries them designed them for Seach and Recovery. To get in contact with them email cristin@firstresponseoutfitters.com. The unit is about $800 but in the end is worth every penny of it. you dont have to rebuild or worry about it breaking. i believe they also carry the extension cables and switches for it. you should really consider ordering one. i love mine.