Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
DeepVision DE340 Side Scan Sonar System Review
jimkennard
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 16, 2010 6:45:44 PM(UTC)

For the past year I have been using the DeepVision DE340 Side Scan Sonar with the DeepView SE software. I have operated DeepVision system in the deep depths of Lake Ontario, the swift waters of the St. Lawrence River and in the murky depths of the Hudson River. The results that we had in each of these very different marine environments were outstanding. See the Shipwreckworld Review section for the detailed report and images.
http://www.shipwreckworl...0-side-scan-sonar-review
tapinkham
#2 Posted : Monday, November 15, 2010 3:25:40 PM(UTC)

Hi Jim,

Most reviews have a pro and con but you only talk about what's good about it.
No cons?
Also the website has only one entry from 2010.
News
2010-04-09
DeepView Publisher Released

Is there a US contact for DeepVision because they don't seem to accessible.
Thanks,
Tim
jimkennard
#3 Posted : Friday, November 19, 2010 8:12:37 AM(UTC)

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your post and comments.

I have operated a variety side scan sonar systems for over 35 years and even built my own system which I used for many years. For the use that DeepVision has designed the DE340 system for searches or surveying with a maximum towfish depth of 100m, I could not find any cons with this system. If one wanted an inexpensive system to compete with the high end ($60K to $100K) deep towing side scan sonars, then this is not the system to purchase, but the DE340 was not designed for that either.

News updates: I believe that there is going to be some exciting news from DeepVision of new products and software that they will be announcing sometime in the very near future.

Communications: I have had prompt and excellent communications with DeepVision both through emails and direct voice contact, in English, via Skype. However, I did have an issue with my ISP (Time Warner Communications) that for some reason was rejecting return emails from the ISP that DeepVision is utilizing. Maybe you might have experienced a similar problem?

Cheers, Jim
smanni
#4 Posted : Sunday, September 21, 2014 4:29:40 PM(UTC)

Hi Jim,

Thank you for the review.

I am in the market for a side scan sonar and I was wondering what your thoughts are regarding the DeepVision DE340 Side Scan Sonar for my particular useage.

My intent is to use it on the east coast of the US in salt water searching for wrecks. I have a significant amount of locations in the 150 - 300ft range that we want to scan searching for wrecks. Some would likely be old low lying wooden vessels and some should be early 1900s steel vessels.
In that depth of salt water (150 - 300 ft with 300 being the way upper limit) how would you foresee this unit performing.

Any marks that we find would be ultimately verified by divers, but the unit will have to have the ability to show us if there is anything worth diving.

Thanks for any input you may have.

Sean

smanni1@comcast.net
jimkennard
#5 Posted : Sunday, September 21, 2014 5:26:16 PM(UTC)

Sean,

Check out our discoveries in Lake Ontario over the past several years with the Deepvision DE340. We are operating in the same depths as you. Cheers, Jim
smanni
#6 Posted : Sunday, September 21, 2014 6:22:51 PM(UTC)

Jim,

And you have not had a problem getting the towfish deep enough with the kevlar line in lieu of a steel cable? That is my biggest concern - getting that towfish deep enough to scan in the 20-300 ft range, and still getting a good view.

I know in the 100 to, around, 175 - it will be great. The 200 - 275 area is where I have a lot of "not before focused on" areas to search so I assume I will need to get it pretty deep.

Another ignorant question I have is - would the salinity affect performance at all?

jimkennard
#7 Posted : Sunday, September 21, 2014 8:09:30 PM(UTC)

Sean,

Salinity does not affect performance. I add several cannonball weights distributed along the cable to get the towfish deeper.
1 user thanked jimkennard for this useful post.
gertiehelm on 7/10/2023(UTC)
smanni
#8 Posted : Monday, September 22, 2014 2:19:48 AM(UTC)

jim - do you pay an "annual fee" for their software?

That alone seems to negate the cost savings on the unit. 1600/year ??

Do you have any pics or video of how you depoy and/or retrieve the line? Do you use any kind of winch?

jimkennard
#9 Posted : Tuesday, September 23, 2014 6:23:59 AM(UTC)

Sean,

There is no fee for the DeepVision LT software.

I don't have video or pics on deploying the towfish. I do not use a winch. I believe that some DeepVision customers use a winch with a variety of methods for adding more weight to the towfish and cable. Please check with DeepVision for their advice on adding weights. Cheers, Jim
smanni
#10 Posted : Tuesday, September 23, 2014 12:20:49 PM(UTC)

Thanks Jim.

I checked with them on adding weights, interestingly enough.....they said to check with you as they are under the impression that you do it.

jimkennard
#11 Posted : Tuesday, September 23, 2014 5:28:58 PM(UTC)

Sean,

Per my 9/22 post I do use additional weights. Sent you a PM with my phone #. Give me a call to discuss.
gertiehelm
#12 Posted : Monday, July 10, 2023 9:29:12 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: jimkennard Go to Quoted Post
Sean, slope game

Salinity does not affect performance. I add several cannonball weights distributed along the cable to get the towfish deeper.

okay perfect thanks for the info!